7.09.2007

3 Musicians You Should Be Listening To

Jon Troast. Heard this fellow from Wisconsin on Prairie Home Companion a few weeks ago. He was playing, "Was It Ever Really Mine?" and I knew he'd become an instant favorite. His music is delightful, ranging from "The Most" to which he proclaims his love above all other loves (such as brown sugar on his toast, pajamas, and talking about old times), to "Dish and Spoon", a saucy love escapade based on the nursery rhyme, to "Family Like Mine", where he recounts with honest gratitude for his family (which you should read his bio to gather a little more context).

Eliot Morris. It took me awhile to decide if I liked his music or not. His music isn't quite the type to be sluffed in the background music mix. It wasn't until I discovered that he rewards those who listen with intentionality, I quickly discovered his full sounds, tickling the same parts of my ear that musicians such as Counting Crows and John Mayer entertain. After a bit of research, I found out that he'd had a band named after one of my favorite Flannery O'Connor's short stories, Parker's Back. His tunes are sweet, rich, and remind me of trains.


Josh Verdes. His music sounds like California to me. I imagine driving down the coast somewhere near San Diego with "Deep Down" blaring from my stereo. Listen and download his music from his Myspace.

No comments: